Saturday, January 26, 2008

Cultural Differences

I've been in Aix for a week now, and these are some of the differences I have determined.

1. It is pretty much impossible to make French friends. They say when you study abroad not to hangout with Americans and mingle well the locals to improve your language skills. Impossible in France. The French have very tight social circles and will not let you in, especially if you are American. They are also very shy, and will not approach you. A friend and I have tried on countless occasions to speak to French guys at bars or clubs, total rejection every time. But we talked to the owner of this grocery store we like to go to (who is amazing, he speaks the truth) and he said we must go to artsy stuff and meet upper class frenchmen who will be more accepting of us.
2. No eye contact, and especially no smiling. This is the hardest cultural difference to manage. For a girl to make eye contact with you, and especially if she makes eye contact and smiles, means she is inviting you for a tryst. THIS IS SO HARD! I'm so used to looking at people and smiling. I still don't have it down. I think all the people on the street think i'm crazy.
3. There is a social divide in France. There are the french, then there are the french immigrants. Not all of the french immigrants are bad, just like in most situations, but they can cause trouble. You can tell if they will cause trouble, because they are the french that will approach you. They have a degrading view about women, and love to harass you if you are fair skinned and have light hair. The other blonde lauren and I had an incident yesterday in the grocery store, but luckily our beloved store owner, handled it. You just have to be careful, and be aware of your surroundings.
4. The french are HORRIBLE drivers. Purely insane. I fear for my life on a daily basis.
5. The french do not like to party..well most don't. If you see a group of drunk kids in the street, bet is they are Americans, Brits, or Aussies.
6.There are no sidewalks, you just have to walk in the street and dodge vehicles, this goes back to my point of cultural difference 4 and fearing for my life.
7. Dogs and dog crap. Dogs are EVERYWHERE. In the stores, cafés, streets...everywhere, and so is their poo. Walking in the street is like having to dodge land mines. I'm constantly having to watch where I step. Luckily I haven't had the misfortune of stepping in it yet, and I hope I never will.

I'm sure there are more, and I'm sure I will discover more the longer I am here, but it's time to peace out for now.

1 comment:

brehmers said...

Basically, I have an obligation to agree with absolutely everything you have just said. You nailed the French on several key points that I have noticed in my time here too. The eye contact and the smiling is definitely the hardest to master. When we get back to Texas we are going to be so cold and prude and boring if we succumb to this Welker! I'm glad the Irish and the Aussies are everywhere in this town :)