Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Food Issue

This is the food issue of my blog (mainly for you Shannon, haha).
The food in France is, probably as you have suspected, amazing. Especially the bread, it's très delicious. My host mom is a fabulous cook, so we always have something yummy to eat for dinner, except Wednesdays....I don't know why we don't get fed on Wednesday, when every other family has chosen a weekend day to not feed their host kids, but whatever, my roommate and I have nice little dates on Wednesdays. Dinner typically starts of with a salad, or a homemade soup, then for the main course we have something different every time. We have yet to have had the same meal twice. My host mom makes a very delicious ratatouille. Then we have a cheese plate, i always try the cheese, but I don't eat much. However, I have found I really enjoy brie and chevre (a goats cheese), and maybe sometimes camembert. Then we finish dinner with a dessert. Either yogurt eaten in various ways or some sort of cake my mom has baked.
We have to find our own lunches, so I either get a sandwich from one of the many delicious sandwich shops in Aix (one of my favorite sandwiches is a mixte, which is just ham, cheese, and butter on a baguette, so simple, but so good), or pasta from this fresh pasta place across the street from my house. If we're going to be out and about and I need to pack a picnic lunch, I usually by a baguette and some brie, an apple, and maybe a pudding.
When I do eat dinner out I try to have something different every time. One of the best meals I've had in Aix though, was at this little restaurant called le petit verdot. There I had the best fois gras of my life and a lamb shank that was to die for. I've also eaten lots of delicious creme brulet! I dunno how the french don't get fat. There's lots of wine and carb intake, maybe it's because they walk 10 miles a day. I think I've even lost weight, it's a mystery to me. I'll try to remember to take picture of some food I eat and post it next time!

1 comment:

LeftyMama said...

Yes! Do share some pics of your meals, please. It is amazing what a difference a decent bread can make to a meal, and I totally understand why you do the picnics. When you can quickly and cheaply pick up such delicious & fresh ingredients, there's no need prepare anything too complicated. Crusty bread + silky cheese + lovely wine = picnic heaven.

I'm sure you're aware, a significant portion of our family is converging on Sin City this week, but Samson and I are staying at home. Brian is giddy with excitement at the prospect of planting himself at video poker bars and swilling free drinks for the next two days. And I believe I heard that my sisters are taking a pole dancing class. So sorry I'm gonna miss out on that - heh.