Saturday, March 22, 2008

Le Luberon


Last weekend we went to this area of Provence called "Le Luberon". It's about 30 mins north of Aix and features your "typical" provençial sights. Lavender and sunflower fields (which are unfortunately not in bloom until the summer), medieval ruins, olive groves, and cute little cottages. A tasty little fact for you, John Malcovich lives in this area, and we actually drove right past his house.
I'm not sure if it was because I was tired, but this was sooooooooooo boring. I really was not enthused, however, we did go to this one super cool town, Roussillon, that had an ocher quarry, so all the houses were these beautiful reds, oranges, and yellows, très beaux. We hiked around in the deserted ocher quarry, and everyone's pants and shoes turned into a lovely shade of red dust. Afterwards, I had my first contact with dog poo on the street...OH NO! I've been doing so well, 2 months and i've been able to dodge every little pile on the street, but alas, as fate would have it, i stepped in a nice mushy dropping, yuck.
Unfortunately sailing has been canceled this week, waters are too choppy, so we'll see if there will be anything else in store. Right now Aix has turned into a cluster mess of American tourists, so I've been hiding inside. Looking out from the inside, there really is NOTHING more annoying than an American tourist, haha. They stick out like sore thumbs, with their silly t-shirts, crocs, and brightly colored jackets. I also know why the French would just rather you speak in English than attempt French. There was this young American man ahead of me in line at the sandwich shop today, and he was speaking the most god awful French I have ever heard, I wanted him to stop, and the poor sandwich lady was getting so frustrated with him. It's so funny how your perspective changes when you become a local. I can definitely see me having a little bit of a rough transition when I return to the States.


The Ol' Ocher Quarry
Old Clock Tower in Roussillon, featuring blue shutters

1 comment:

LeftyMama said...

Speaking of the sandwich shop, what are you eating these days? Have you opened your palate to anything new? Any surprises, good or bad, with food? Are the bread and the produce as fantabulous as all the foodies say?

One of my favorite parts of traveling is trying out whatever is traditional for the area.

In case you're wondering, we had homemade Sloppy Joes for supper tonight and Samson LOVED it. Jealous?